Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Cast Iron Pans

I keep hearing how cast iron develops its own nonstick surface so I've been renewing the seasoning on my old 12" skillet. First to get off the old seasoning which seemed to be flaking off, I used a 1/4 sheet power sander to get all the seasoning off and smooth out the rough bottom.

I read that seasoning can be done by burning oil onto the surface in your oven at 500 degrees for an hour. I tried it and it makes your kitchen fill with smoke. The surface turned a nice black color, but it still wasn't really non-stick. My latest endeavour is to heat the skillet on the stove and apply a thin layer of oil with a paper towel and tongs and wait for the smoking to stop. This only makes a blotchy seasoned surface. If anyone has a better method, please let me know.

No comments: