Thursday, September 28, 2006


I've Hacked my Router!
I have a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster. I bought this baby at BestBuy after convincing my wife that we needed it for our HTPC to work in the living room without draping network cables all over the place. Apparently this router used to run Linux. Since its introduction, there have been 5 different revisions of this same router. The first 4 had linux. The last one has half to a fourth of the memory and a proprietary OS called VxWorks which makes it nearly impossible to hack. Guess which one I got. Fortunately, I stumbled upon DD-WRT. It's a linux firmware of the router with all sorts of bells and whistles. It turns out that they make a micro-edition which is just small enough to fit in the 2MB of flash memory on my router! Plus, their site has all this support for ridding this device of VxWorks so that I can get a proper OS on this baby. Don't you just love the open source community?



1 comment:

Pressure Washing Missouri City said...

Thanks for this blog poost