Sunday, October 22, 2006

flickr
I'm on flickr now (Don't worry I'm still maintaining my photo gallery website which is still down with hardware issues.) The photos on flickr can be quite amazing. I've never seen such beautiful shots before. Makes me wish I had one of those high-end digital SLR's, but alas my wifey wont let me spend so much money on a new camera when we already have a relatively good (but old) one, the Canon Powershot G1. For the most part, I agree with her. Photography is like most other forms of art, the more/better tools you have, the more flexibility you get. The real difference between a great shot and a bad one is in the photographer, not the camera. To kickstart my point, check out some of my photos taken with my canon: Link to flickr
In my upcoming blogs, I'll be writing about how to take great photos with whatever camera you have. I'll also write about what things you will want to get if you have some spare cash lying around.

Why is flickr so cool? Well, the main reason, I think, is that you are limited in the amount of photos that you can upload to their site. Even if you pay the $24.95 per year for their subscription, you can upload at most 2Gigs of photos per month (Not that I would ever exceed that (except for the initial upload). However, their free version limits you to only 20MB per month which means you gotta be really discerning about which pics to upload if you expect anyone there to look at your photos. On top of this you can join multiple Groups which let you post your shots to the group's pool of photos. For instance I'm a member of the Thai and Peru groups now and so have posted several of my photos into their pools, which draws members to look at my photos which means my photos show up more often when you search for them.

No comments: